Sunday, October 31, 2010

Halloween Fun

This month I decided to try again with blogging some of my food.

I love Halloween and with having a five year old, it's a great time for fun recipes.

I decided to try my hand at owl cupcakes inspired by Owl Cupcakes which were initially taken from Hello, Cupcake!

My little guy isn't fond of chocolate cake so I went in search of a pre-portioned six vanilla cupcake batter. Six because it's Halloween and I really don't want a dozen or so left over cupcakes. What I found was Small Batch Cupcakes. I like the use of only egg whites and was intrigued that all the dry good would be mixed with butter first. Most recipes I've used go with the old standby of butter and sugar then the rest, so I thought this would be interesting to try.
My first surprise was that the batter was so fluffy that it filled each of the six cupcake liners. I was apprehensive that they would overflow in the oven but just closed my eyes, told myself it was the egg whites and trudged on. It was an experiment after all, may as well trust the recipe. *It did overhang the cups but after it cooled they came out without breaking and look rather like cute little mushrooms. If only I'd been planning mushroom cupcakes!



I used a basic chocolate buttercream for frosting.
The basis of the recipe is:
1/2cup powdered sugar
1/2cup cocoa
4Tbsp softened butter
1&1/2tsp vanilla extract
pinch of salt
After a good mixing, I alternate milk and powdered sugar until it get the consistency and sweetness that I need for the recipe.


They turned out well.




I also wanted to make this spider bread I found at BOTD: Sourdough Spider. Since I have had two horrible experiences starting my own sourdough culture, I used the basic bread recipe that was suggested.

The shape didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, but since this was my first attempt at shaping dough into a specific shape, I think I'll just be grateful that it can be recognized as a spider.  :)

No comments: