Monday, March 14, 2011

Daring Cooks, March Challenge

Kathlyn of Bake Like a Ninja was our Daring Cooks’ March 2011 hostess. Kathlyn challenged us to make two classic Peruvian dishes: Ceviche de Pescado from “Peruvian Cooking – Basic Recipes” by Annik Franco Barreau. And Papas Rellenas adapted from a home recipe by Kathlyn’s Spanish teacher, Mayra.



I didn't try the Ceviche de Pescado because I'm allergic to so many kinds of fish, shellfish, cephalopods... etc that I have a well earned aversion to all 'fishy' foods.   I was grateful that only one of the two recipes was required.
Hmm, I must admit that Papas Rellenas was a nice challenge to return to after having to miss February due to a nasty combination of procrastination meets illness.  I've always wanted to try papas but never took the time.  Thanks to Lent, I'm not eating meat, but I really wanted to try the beef recipe.  The photos provided made it look so delicious.  So, I used Boca crumbles for a substitute, and it was delightful.









This post is close to the wire because I wanted to have the food for my husbands birthday dinner, which happens to be today, the 14th.  Of course, he's working late today so we're having a late night party for him.  All the same, the recipe is delicious and I enjoyed it so much that we will surely have it again.  My husband, who announced a sudden and previously unknown aversion to olives, did not, though for some reason he blamed the cumin.  I'd respect that if only he hadn't been ignorantly consuming cumin for years.  ;)

No comments: